Blog | Permits for the summer


Permits Image

When it's cold and grey, summer can seem like a lifetime away. But the sunshine will be here in next to no time. Make sure you're prepared by getting your permits in order before the season of sun, fun and adventure kicks off.

Taking part in adventurous activities is one of the most rewarding parts of Scouting. If you want to lead these activities for your young people, it’s crucial that you have the necessary permits. Here's our one stop guide on the best approach to getting qualified. 

While there are many activities that you can do with young people that don't require permits, including some very exciting water activities, some of the more adventurous ones require you to have specific skills and the appropriate qualifications and Adventurous Activity Permits to lead them.

Below you will find some useful resources regarding permits. Do keep in mind that permits may take a while to get, so if you want to run an activity with a group this spring or summer, it’s best to start thinking about it now.  

  • If you’re planning on leading your own activities, the best place to start looking for advice is at where you can find information on specific activities. Choose the activity you wish to run with your group and then select the option “running it yourself or using someone else in Scouting”.
  • You can find general information on how the Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme works here. For factsheets for specific roles and activities as well as an application form for a permit for adventurous activities, visit
  • Spending nights away from home is also a key part of the Scouting Programme. A Nights Away Permit allows you to lead nights away events for young people within Scouting. It shows people in Scouting, the young people and their parents that you have the necessary skills and experience to be able to lead these excursions. For more information on the Nights Away Permit Scheme visit
  • If no one in your section has a Nights Away permit and you’re eager to go on a camping trip, you might also consider teaming up with another section or group.
  • Compass will help you contact any County Assessor or Nights Away Adviser and start the process of gaining your permit. You can find a helpful user guide to show you through the process by contacting them here.
  • To encourage young people tp lead residential events, such as patrol camps or Explorer Scout expeditions, you can grant a nights away passport to an under 18 year old when you hold a Nights Away Permit. It will allow the young person to lead a residential event for members of their own section and it only lasts for a single event. More information on Event Passports can be found here.
  • Youth members are also eligible to be granted with activity permits. Personal permits are a great way for youth members to progress in an activity by practising with their peers. Once they have developed their skills further they could even look to apply for leadership and supervisory permits. More information can be found here.
  • If your permit has expired, you should contact a County Assessor or a Nights Away Adviser to kick off the renewal process, as you will need a current permit before you can run these activities and camps again.
  • Funding is available for permit assessment courses to get an adventurous activity permit. For more information go to

If you have any more queries regarding permits, it’s worth checking the FAQs here


Back to articles list

Most read