Blog | 31 things to try in August
Make the most of the next 31 days and celebrate the August with these ideas.
1. Enjoy the summer sun and have a picnic in your local park.
2. August is named after Augustus who is considered to be the 1st Roman Emperor. Make a roman mosaic like those of ancient Rome.
3. Learn more about the importance of clean water through our A Million Hands Project and make a list of 5 ways you can help save water during Water Quality Month.
4. Put on a production of your favourite play encouraged by this month’s Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
5. Apricots are at their best in August. Make a delicious apricot jam.
6. On August 6th 1926, Gertrude Ederle was the first woman to cross the English Channel. Go for a swim in the ocean or at your local lido.
7. Sleep outside and see how many different constellations you can name.
8. Do eight good deeds for your family before the end of the month.
9. Start a book club on Book Lovers Day.
10. They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit, keeping a gratitude journal sounds like a good habit to start.
11. The summer weather is perfect for some outdoor cooking. Build a campfire and set up a suitable stove to prepare a meal.
12. Start a dream journal. Dreams can be an incredible insight into your inner world and your future self will thank you for keeping record.
13. Visit a Scout Adventures Centre and try out a new activity.
14. If you have 5-11 year old at home during the summer, try one these summer activities and help them build a new skill
15. On National Relaxation Day, light some candles and try some meditation to help reduce stress, improve concentration and encourage an overall healthier lifestyle
16. Watch Planet Earth II Jungle and start getting excited about our Amazon 2020 project.
17. Write a haiku in honour of summer.
18. Find a good spot and watch the sunset.
19. Give some hours of your day to volunteering at your local homeless shelter during World Humanitarian Day.
20. Put on your wellies and go Pond Dipping.
22. Learn all the lyrics to your favourite song.
23. Hold a competition to see who can find more shapes in the clouds.
24. Make a scrapbook with photos, cut outs and writings from your summer holiday.
25. Choose a family member or a friend who doesn’t know much about Scouting and tell them in detail your favourite thing about it.
26. Make a hand drawn map of your neighbourhood with all your favourite spots.
27. Do something you’ve never done and always dreamt of doing. Trapeze class anyone?
28. A three-day weekend calls for an adventure. Take a camping trip to somewhere you haven’t been before.
29. Make a nature collage.
30. Make sure you have all your pens and notebooks ready for back to school in September.
31. Go through your cupboard and take out all the old clothes that don’t fit you anymore. Pass them on to your younger siblings or donate them to your local charity shop.
Looking for more ideas? Here's 31 more you can try.