Activity | Things to do on the summer solstice
This year's summer solstice is on Wednesday 21 June. Here are some ideas of things to do with longer days this summer!
5:00am Make eggy crumpets
Sunrise can be as early as 4:42am so make the most of that beautiful fresh early morning by making these campfire eggy crumpets.
150ml milk (or milk alternative)
A knob of butter
Salt and pepper
Mustard powder (to taste)
- mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl
- soak the crumpets in the egg mixture. Press down on the crumpet while it is in the mixture so it soaks it up like a sponge
- heat the butter in a frying pan
- fry the eggy crumpets for around 1-2 minutes per side until they are golden brown and cooked through
Top tip: If you're a fan of spice serve your eggy crumpets with spicy ketchup. Make it by mixing a good dollop of ketchup with a few drops of tabasco sauce.
8:15am Go grass sledging
Root out your sledge and try grass sledging. That’s right, sledging is no longer just a winter sport. No matter what the weather’s like get yourself over to a nearby hilly area and let off some steam zooming down the slopes. As it's nice and early you may even have the slope to yourself.
11:30 Make some cherry lemonade ready for a car boot sale
Clear out your old things and have a car boot or yard sale. Choose a worthy cause (yes, your Scout Group is a very worthy cause) to donate your money to. Want to raise even more? Make some of this cherry lemonade to sell:
125ml lemon juice
1 litre water
100g caster sugar
200g maraschino cherries
Soda water to top up
- put the lemon juice, water and sugar in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes to form a syrupy consistency
- add the cherries and leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool with the cherries in the syrup. Strain to remove the cherries if you’d prefer or leave them in and add to the soda water (1 part syrup to 4 parts soda water) to serve
6:15pm Set off on a hike
Sunset is only at 9:22pm so why not make the most of your light evening with a night hike. Make it an event by inviting a group of friends, prepping some challenge cards and handing them out throughout the hike. Here are a couple of challenge ideas to start you off:
- find an animal or insect and take a photo of it using your camera phone. The best photo wins
- make your way to a particular destination ahead of you without being seen or heard. Half of the group should make their way quietly, while the other half are searching for them
For more great activity ideas to celebrate the sunshine take a look at the latest blog on water activities.