Scouts join the Great Get Together!
As Scouts we’re always looking for ways to bring people and communities together, not to mention have loads of fun. So when we heard about the Great Get Together we knew we wanted to get involved.
This summer, people around the UK are gathering for the Great Get Together and the Movement is joining in.
What is it?
The Great Get Together is a fun-filled weekend to celebrate all that unites us. Celebrations are being planned for 17 and 18 June. Why not gather your Group to plan a celebration of your own? It could take the form of a neighbourhood picnic, a party, a BBQ, a football game or a 'Tea Prepared' party! It’s all about sharing food, fun and conversation with the people around us.
What’s it for?
The celebrations are a perfect excuse to connect (or reconnect) with our diverse communities and celebrate our common bonds. The weekend marks the one-year anniversary of the murder of Jo Cox MP, who passionately believed that we have more in common than divides us. As Scouts we know this to be true, and so, we’re delighted to take part.
How to get involved
Plan a celebration with your Group or section. Host a party or picnic outside your local headquarters or organise a community event in your city or town. From a family picnic to a community concert, the important thing is coming together and having fun. Through organising a celebration your young people will not only develop teamwork, leadership and planning skills but also strengthen ties in their communities.
This makes the Great Get Together a wonderful opportunity for young people to earn their Community Impact badges. Inclusive celebrations like these can close gaps between generations. They can promote healthy eating and exercise. They can help individuals feel less isolated and more valued by their fellow citizens. By instilling a sense of pride in our communities and creating a platform to communicate, they encourage us to work together to better the world around us.
Where to begin
- Save the date! Celebrations will happen on 17 and 18 June
- Brainstorm ideas and get creative. Your get together should be a reflection of what makes your local area great
- Make a pledge to join in by clicking here or email firstname.lastname@example.org to let them know if you have any ideas for the kind of events you’d like to plan
- Click here to get your very own inspiration pack, full of tips and ideas for creating an event of your own
- Spread the word – tweet and share your plans on social media using #greatgettogether
For more information see the FAQS page on the Great Get Together website.