9 ways to look after your HQ over the holidays
Many Scout buildings will be left vacant over the holidays. You can help protect your property by doing the following things:
- Lock your Group's equipment away out of sight.
- Turn off gas and electricity, but check if any burglar or fire alarm needs mains power.
- If your HQ will be unoccupied for a long time, shut off your water system.
- Keep your property heated to reduce the risk of a pipe freezing.
- During the winter it is a requirement with any insurer that water pipes are lagged to protect against freezing.
- Don't forget to lock up after your last meeting. Check you’ve locked all windows, fire exits and doors.
- Set the alarms.
- Ask your local police to include your Scout HQ on their rounds.
- Check your buildings insurance policy terms and conditions now, rather than when you need to make a claim.