Eggstravagant eggy bread - The Mustard Melt
Eggy bread, the cure to the early morning grumps, the fuel for our dusk 'til dawn hikes and a decent reason to get up out of the tent in the morning. But have you ever tried getting creative with it? Here's the first of our eggscellent recipes to make sure your eggy bread is the best on camp.
The Mustard Melt
- 2 eggs.
- 2 slices of bread.
- Splash of milk (2 tbsp is plenty).
- Pinch of salt and pepper.
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard.
- Cheddar cheese.
- Knob of butter.
- Sauce or herbs to garnish.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the salt, pepper and mustard. If you're a big mustard fan you can add more, or if you just want a subtle tang just use half a teaspoon.
- Whisk all of the ingredients together using a fork.
- Tip the mixture onto a plate and place your bread on top. Allow the bread to soak up the mixture and turn it over so it's coated well on both sides.
- Heat a pan (mid to high heat works well) and add your knob of butter.
- Once the butter has melted add your eggy soaked bread and fry on both sides for a minute or two, until nicely golden.
- Remove from the pan and grate some cheese on top of the fried bread.
- Either melt the cheese under a grill, or if you're camping (which is very likely) place it back on the heat for a bit to help the cheese melt.
- Add your sauce or garnish of choice, and voila! Delve in.
Are you hungry for more? Keep an eye out for The Eggy Toastie with feta and sundried tomatoes!