Activity | Alternative Easter ideas
Star in your own film, make your own camera and raise money for your Group; we've come up with creative ways to keep you and your friends busy this Easter half-term.
Activity 1 | Shooting spring challenge
Try your hand at photographing wildlife with your own DIY camera.
What to do:
1. Put your smart phone away and make your own pinhole matchbox camera. Check out this brilliant how-to video on how to do it; it’s simple and inexpensive.
2. With your mates, head down to your local nature reserve and capture the spring season by snapping the wildlife you see there.
Activity 2 | Have a Scout adventure
Celebrate your half-term freedom and visit a Scout Activity Centre. Zip-wire through the trees, trail through tunnels, and scream at the top of your lungs on a 3G Swing. There are activity centres across the country with loads of different activities, so you can have an adventure near to you.
Activity 3 | Ultimate movie night
Host a movie night with a twist by recreating a scene from the movie you watch.
What to do:
1. Invite your friends over and ask them to bring snacks and drinks – try this marshmallow and popcorn recipe.
2. Choose a film. This is could be tough, so we recommend writing out all your options, putting them into a hat and choosing a film by picking one out.
3. Watch your movie and when you’re done, choose your favourite scene to act out.
4. Record your movie using your phone or a digital camera. Most computers have easy editing software you can use to edit your video. Try using something like Magisto Video Editor and Maker on your mobile, available on both iPhone and Android.
Activity 4 | Sell your old stuff
It’s spring, which means you are due a clear out. Instead of throwing out what you don’t want or need, sell your items to help fundraise for your Group.
Here are our top tips:
1. Focus on selling one group of objects; this could be clothes, old stationary or furniture. Focusing one area will help you to sift through your items quicker.
2. Aim to choose at least 10 items. If you are a hoarder, this technique will help you to be less precious about getting rid of your old stuff.
3. Price all your items the same. This will help you to choose quality items that will sell. Anything under £5 is a very attractive price for second-hand items.
Activity 5 | Get Wet!
It may not be 20 degrees outside, but that shouldn’t stop you from fancying a dip in the water. Organise a swimming session with your friends and head down to your local swimming pool or lido. Play our version of British Bulldog in the pool that will have you swimming like a pro in no time at all.
How to play:
1. Choose somebody to be the shark and everybody else is tuna.
2. The shark’s starting position is based in the middle of the pool while the tuna are based at one end of the pool.
3. When the whistle is blown, the tuna have got to swim to the other side without getting caught by the shark.
4. If a tuna fish is caught, they now join the shark in the middle of the pool. The rest of the tuna have to make their way back to other side when the whistle is blown again.
5. The game continues until there is only one tuna left swimming.
Share all your Easter adventures on our Facebook page.